Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Window into Heaven


10/22/2013 - Vatican City

I took an official tour of St. Peter's Basilica, the largest Catholic cathedral. The tour group was small: me, two Catholics from India, two Orthodox Romanians living in Australia, and our English guide. She was patient and welcoming as she explained the plaza outside St. Peter's and inside the basilica. One of the architects, Bernini, had designed St. Peter's to be a "window into heaven." It was one of the best experiences of the trip. 

St. Peter's would have been enough to make a great day, but I had a pretty full afternoon also. I saw touristy Rome: the Trevi Fountain seen in La Dolce Vita, the gelato shop from Roman Holiday, the Pantheon, and the site where Julius Caesar was murdered. It was a good part of Rome for aimless wandering. I eventually ended up walking along the Tiber River before heading out for the nightlife.

Pictured: A small piece of art in St. Peter's

No comments:

Post a Comment