Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Madonna on the Mountaintop


10/28/2013 - Manarola, Italy

Manarola is one of the five villages in Cinqueterre, a small mountainous area on the northwest coast of Italy. It is known for having great hiking along the coast and up in the mountains. Each of the five villages has a remote chapel associated with it that can be hiked to from the village. From Manarola, I hiked to the chapel Nostra Signora della Salute in the tiny village of Volastra.

Along the way, I realized that there is huge variety in all the Catholic experiences one can have in Italy. Hiking to the top of the mountain to see a chapel reminds me of someone seeking advice from a  Himalayan guru. Less than two weeks earlier, I had jostled to see the Pope among the crowds at the Vatican. I saw the world's largest cathedral, St. Peter's. And I saw the luxury of the historic Church in Florence. Italy has options for whatever inspires you: cheering crowds, the Pope, ancient history, massive wealth, or remote mountaintop chapels.

Pictured: View of the village Manarola on the way down from Volastra

No comments:

Post a Comment