Saturday, October 19, 2013

Travel Surprises


10/18/2013 - Split, Croatia

So far on my trip, most things have gone according to plan. Today, I felt off balance as I seemed to encounter one surprise after the other. At breakfast, I bit into what I thought was a sweet cheese strudel, but instead there was a lukewarm hot dog inside. Later, when I got to Zagreb's train station for my trip to Split, I saw that I'd be spending five hours on a bus instead of a train. When I finally arrived in Split, the apartment I had reserved was unavailable. So the owners picked me up and took me down some dark alleys to another place. The new place was fine, except I had to follow specific directions about turning off the water heater so I wouldn't get electrocuted in the shower.

The day's biggest surprise came at the end. It was a good one, and something I should have seen coming. I hadn't done much research on why I was supposed to visit Split; I just thought it was just a beach destination. It turns out, there's a major UNESCO World Heritage Site: a 4th century Roman palace, filled with cafes, restaurants, and bars. Nice!

Pictured: Diocletian's Palace in Split

No comments:

Post a Comment