Friday, October 11, 2013

Mozart Wins


10/11/2013 - Vienna, Austria

I fit a lot of Vienna into a single rainy day, since most of the previous day was spent on trains leaving Poland. I started in the Hofburg, the Habsburg palace in the city center. It's huge; I visited at least four parks inside it. The parks were nice enough that I didn't even bother going in any of the buildings. I passed the old congress building, the national library, and some impressive museums. After the palace, I saw today's Parlement, several huge churches, a house where Freud once lived, and others. 

I was happy to stroll through the city that was the center of classical music. Unsurprisingly, Mozart is everywhere: his statue is in one of the palace gardens, and his image is on many souvenirs. The surprise was that I didn't see any evidence of other famous Viennese musicians (and there are many). It's like going to Hollywood and only seeing Marilyn Monroe. 

Pictured: The Mozart statue in the palace's Burggarten park

No comments:

Post a Comment