Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Ancestral Homeland


10/16/2013 - Zagreb, Croatia

Some of my ancestors are Croatian, so I was eager to see the nation's capital, Zagreb. I used the same plan I've been using to introduce myself to a city: "choose a landmark, walk to it, and find interesting things along the way." I first walked to the cathedral and saw prayers written on the wall in the old Croatian alphabet. From there, I walked through a market, through a few parks and plazas, and up to the upper half of the old town. 

In the old town, I first stopped at the celebrated Museum of Broken Relationships. From the museum, I walked to Zagreb's government buildings and the center of Old Zagreb, St. Mark's Square. The brightly tiled St. Mark's Church prompted a cheer of "Kawaii!" (cute!) from a Japanese tourist. From St. Mark's, I walked a few blocks to get a view of the city. In the evening, I passed a statue of Nikola Tesla on my way to the bars and cafes of Zagreb. The city made a good first impression; it is lively and easygoing.

Pictured: View of Zagreb's cathedral (at left, under restoration), and more of the skyline.

No comments:

Post a Comment