Sunday, October 13, 2013

Autumn and Szilard


10/12/2013 - Budapest, Hungary

I rushed through Budapest: I went to Parliament, across the bridge from Pest to Buda, up to the castle, and back to the train station. I snuck in a few small stops along the way. I found a good place for goulash, and I picked up a book. The city looked nice; the trees on the Buda hills had all the colors of autumn.

My last small stop, not far from the train station, was the childhood home of Hungarian scientist Leo Szilard. He was one of the first to conceive of the atomic bomb and how it could be a deterrent to war. His home is now a dormitory for music school students, with a plaque to commemorate him outside. I was disappointed that Ronald Reagan gets a prominent statue, but there's not much for Leo Szilard.

Pictured: Budapest's Ronald Reagan statue, with Parliament in the background

No comments:

Post a Comment