Friday, October 11, 2013

Bookquest: Vienna, Austria

10/11/2013 - Shakespeare and Company


The Kraus Project by Jonathan Franzen

Jonathan Franzen's latest is a collection of translated works by an early 20th century Viennese satirist, Karl Kraus. I'm happy that the timing worked out that I could pick up a copy in Vienna. In this book, Franzen compares Kraus's criticisms of technology and culture in Vienna to Franzen's criticisms of American technology and culture today. 

I was inside Shakespeare and Company for only a couple minutes. I knew what I was looking for, and it was front and center. I could tell that it had a good selection of English language books. In the center were some of the latest big releases, and I also saw plenty of books about Viennese and Austrian history. 

No comments:

Post a Comment