Monday, October 7, 2013

Bohemian Bureaucracy


10/7/2013 - Prague, Czech Republic

I don't think "bureaucracy" when I think "Bohemia," but bureaucracy was the theme of the day. My first stop was the impressive Prague Castle. I visited the castle's palace, which explained the government's bureaucrats that worked there. As I walked through the palace, I saw the old "Land Roll" books that were used to keep track of who owned what. There were hundreds of them, labeled with numbers on their artistic bindings. As far as bureaucracies go, it was an aesthetic one. 

Later in the day, I visited my favorite sight in Prague, the Franz Kafka Museum. It's very thematic: dark, with ambient machinery noises that evoke an existential bureaucratic nightmare. A highlight was the room that explained Kafka's career with the Worker's Accident Insurance Institute.

Pictured: View of Prague from Prague Castle 

No comments:

Post a Comment