Sunday, October 6, 2013

Four Berlins


10/1/2013 - Berlin, Germany

I was excited to see Berlin. Even though I arrived close to sunset, I still made it out to see some of its famous history. First, I was greeted by a reminder of Germany's election, just a few days ago. A massive poster of the famous "Merkel diamond" filled the side of a building outside of the train station. 

On the way to my hotel, I passed the day's oldest piece of German history, the 19th century Victory Column (Siegessäule). In the evening, I saw the 20th century: a few pieces of the Berlin Wall that are still standing, and finally the site of the "FĂĽhrerbunker" where Hitler spent his last days in World War II. Altogether, that's 4 periods of Berlin's history in a short night walk. 

Pictured: The first sight I saw as I exited the main Berlin train station: a CDU poster.

No comments:

Post a Comment