Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Xian and Detroit


7/20/2013 - Xi'an, China

We were wowed by the terra cotta warriors: hundreds of years old, but only unearthed in the last few decades. When I think about Xi'an, though, I'll remember looking to the future, not the past.

While checking out the Xi'an nightlife, we met a young expat entrepreneur with a small business in Xi'an. He was enthusiastic and confident about opportunities in China. The interior of China is an exciting place for a capitalist: one of the cities could explode with wealth soon. 

I had Detroit on my mind since I had heard about the city's bankruptcy. I couldn't help but compare Detroit with Xi'an. With its current level of growth and its proximity to China's military power, it could be as important to the world economy as Detroit in the early 20th century. 

Pictured: The growing nightlife in Xi'an

No comments:

Post a Comment