Monday, July 29, 2013

Bookquest: Kyoto, Japan

7/29/2013 - Book 1st


Anthology of Japanese Literature, translated and edited by Donald Keene

Donald Keene's anthology includes literature from Japan's beginning to when the capital left Kyoto. It includes selections from The Tale of Genji, Basho, and many others. I generally don't get anthologies, but Kyoto seems appropriate for a long collection of history and culture.

English language options were otherwise limited. If I knew more about visual arts, I would be tempted to buy an art book from every city instead of translated literature. There have been many options in the local languages for art books in every city I have visited so far. Instead, I took down the names of some interesting artists and made a note to look them up when I get back online.

No comments:

Post a Comment