Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Failing to Find Enlightenment


7/17/2013 - Beijing, China

I was in a bad mood all day today. It was hot. Everywhere I went, there were countless Chinese tourists. I must have climbed 1000 stairs between the Summer Palace and Beihai Park. I tried to contemplate the ancient Buddhas, but tour guides walked by, shouting Chinese into megaphones at crowds that didn't pay attention. The city smelled atrocious. I couldn't find any safe food to eat, so I resigned myself to eating lunch at KFC. A Chinese security guard told me I couldn't take photos of the river, and I had no idea why.

I had one brief respite where I felt ok. I sat under the shade of bamboos trees in Beihai Park. I had given up on appreciating the buddhas, so I tried to appreciate the sheer amount of humanity pouring through the park. I put my emergency headphones into my iPhone to escape their noise, drank an entire bottle of water, and resigned myself to just having a bad day. Not every day can be a winner.

Pictured: Tourists climb the stairs of the Summer Palace in Beijing

No comments:

Post a Comment