Thursday, July 25, 2013

Feels Like Home


7/24/2013 - Tokyo, Japan

After China, Tokyo felt like I was almost back in the United States. There are so many little things: brushing my teeth without bottled water, having 3G Internet access, being able to use Twitter and Blogger, and encountering more familiar social norms on public transportation. I've studied Japanese, so I was excited to start reading signs on buildings and public transportation.

The biggest reminder of home is the change in my traveling companions. In China, I traveled with a tour group. In Japan, I will travel with two friends from Chicago, one of whom I have known since high school. We all arrived in Tokyo late and celebrated at a British pub.

Pictured: Looking for a British pub in Uemo. I was excited that I could read the Japanese: "ka-ra-o-ke" club.

No comments:

Post a Comment