Thursday, September 19, 2013

Rocks


9/17/2013 - Dorchester, UK

My last full day in England was dull: chores, a bit of travel, a lot of reading, and a brief stop at Dorchester's Dorset County Museum. I've got museum fatigue, but after yesterday's laziness, I felt obligated to do something besides walk around and hang out. One highlight from the museum is a 155 million year old Weymouth Bay Pliosaur skull, with "more powerful jaws than any other animal in the history of the Earth." 

With some effort, I even enjoyed the rock collection at Dorset County Museum. Earlier in the day, I came across a Laurence Sterne quote from A Sentimental Journey: "What a large volume of adventures may be grasped within this little span of life, by him who interests his heart in everything." It was too far to say the rocks were an "adventure," but they were at least interesting.

Pictured: The rocks at Dorset County Museum

No comments:

Post a Comment