Thursday, September 5, 2013

Bookquest: London, UK

9/5/2013 - Daunt Books


Edmund Campion: Jesuit and Martyr by Evelyn Waugh

There are obviously many options for English-language books about London or England. My choice, Edmund Campion, has almost all the qualities I'm looking for: a story about a traveler, with local history, written by a great author, and short enough to mail home. The internet insists that it is relevant for a contemporary audience, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Daunt Books was the last of four great bookstores I visited. It had great fiction and nonfiction about London and England. It also had good selections for other places; I noted its collection of Austrian and Czech literature for when I get to Central Europe. Daunt Books is in a very commercial / touristy street, but it's surprisingly quiet inside. 

The other bookstores I visited were John Sandoe, Foyle's, and Waterstones. All good choices; Daunt Books just happened to be the one I visited last.

No comments:

Post a Comment