Friday, September 13, 2013

Personalities at Tate Britain


9/11/2013 - London

We spent much of the day at the other Tate art museum in London, the Tate Britain. A walk through the museum takes you through the history of British art. It has a room for each decade of the 20th century, and many rooms for earlier works. Unlike the international British Museum, the truly British "Tate Britain" is appropriately named.

We liked a lot of it, but spent the most time with the oldest pieces. I've seen a lot of art on this trip. Before I left, I would have looked at an old portrait and said, "yep, that's an old portrait." Now, I feel I'm more appropriately impressed by their craftsmanship. Especially talking with my friends, I felt we appreciated the way the best artists captured the personalities of their subjects, and what deeper image the subjects were trying to portray. 

Pictured: "Master Crewe as Henry VIII" by Sir Joshua Reynolds. This one's pretty straightforward.

No comments:

Post a Comment