Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Familiar Names


9/2/2013 - London

The day was full of familiar European names from art, science, and history. At the British Library, I saw the writings of Beethoven, Darwin, Henry VIII, and many, many more. In the evening, I had a taste of London theatre: Henrik Ibsen's A Doll's House. The program mentioned Ibsen's Norwegian contemporary, Edvard Munch, whose work I had just seen exhibited in Oslo.

But, somewhat shamefully, the familiar names I was most excited to see were those from home. Between the library and the show, I had a lot of time to kill in the West End. I bought an American shirt to wear to the play, drank an "americano" coffee, read part of an American biography, and had an American burrito (Chipotle in Europe!). After washing my hands, I was delighted to see a personal favorite piece of American technology: The XLERATOR.

Pictured: A familiar face on the posters for the British Library's propaganda exhibit. My favorite part of the exhibit: a colonial-era board game called Pretoria where the goal is the conquer South Africa, making it look like the British should have had an easy time in the Boer War.

No comments:

Post a Comment