Thursday, August 29, 2013

Medieval Walls


8/28/2013 - York, UK

I went to York for the history, and I wasn't disappointed. I explored York while walking around the city walls. City walls are becoming a theme of the trip; I have visited them in Xi'an, Istanbul, and now York. My last stop in York took me past a political protest ("Don't bomb Syria!") on the way to a pub for a Yorkshire beer. 

York is surprisingly touristy. It has jumped on the popularity of Game of Thrones by playing up its War of the Roses history (supposedly, the York and Lancaster feud in England's War of the Roses inspired the Stark and Lannister houses in Game of Thrones). 

Pictured: A view of York Minster from the city's walls.

Schedule note: I had planned to visit the Moors from York, but I made a mistake in my plans. No Moors on this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment