Saturday, August 31, 2013

Just Like Uchicago


8/31/2013 - Oxford, UK

A big tourist day through Oxford. I visited the Ashmolean Museum, the Bodleian Library, Merton College, Christ Church, and Magdalen College. The museum and library were most impressive: England has been holding out on the rest of the world, keeping its best artifacts for itself. The museum had amazing pieces from Egypt, and the library's books were incredibly old.

The colleges reminded me of my own college experience, with a bit of Harry Potter thrown in. Christ Church's interior and Magdalen College's exterior especially looked like Chicago. One thing was missing: I saw few students, except for those who worked at the ticket counters. One of them greeted me with a "Hello, governor," which I didn't think people actually said anymore. 

Pictured: The dining hall at Christ Church, the model for the University of Chicago's Hutchinson Commons. Also seen in the Harry Potter movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment