Monday, November 11, 2013

CERN


11/9/2013 - Geneva, Switzerland

With little time in Geneva, I woke up early for a stroll along the lake. As I reached the lake, I saw a street commemorating Woodrow Wilson, then headed up a hill to a few of the international buildings. First were two UN buildings: UNHCR and the UN's European headquarters itself (formerly the seat of the League of Nations). Past the UN buildings, I saw the headquarters for the Red Cross.

The main event for the day was a tour of CERN, the Center for European Nuclear Research (the acronym works in French). Our tour guide showed us a few videos and the control room above the Large Hadron Collider. We heard abut the Higgs boson. Many of the tourists with me asked complicated questions about experimental subatomic physics to our tour guide, and I was impressed that he could answer them. Last, in a small museum with artifacts from CERN's research, I saw one of the first servers for the world wide web.

Pictured: View of desks for the ATLAS experiment at CERN.

No comments:

Post a Comment