Monday, November 11, 2013

Notre Dame

11/8/2013 - Paris

I sat for a mass in French at Notre Dame. I don't know the language well enough to know what was going on, but the Catholic mass has the same rhythm everywhere. During the mass, tourists walked along the edges of the cathedral. After mass, I joined them, seeing the statue of Joan of Arc, the chapel of Saint Genevieve, etc. I even bought a commemorative coin celebrating the 850th anniversary of the cathedral.

Outside, it was surprisingly easy to get away from the tourists. I walked to a park named for Pope John XXIII and around the back of the cathedral. From there, I crossed to the island where the old blue blooded Parisians live: Ile Saint-Louis. I walked along the Ile Saint-Louis and Notre Dame's island before heading for an overnight trip to Geneva.

Pictured: Notre Dame, viewed from the Ile Saint-Louis.

No comments:

Post a Comment