Sunday, November 3, 2013

Avignon Bridge


11/3/2013 - Avignon, France

In Avignon, I saw the two big historic sights: its bridge and the papal palace that was used when the Popes were away from Rome. The bridge is famous throughout France. It is popular from a children's song, like London Bridge. The audio guide tour played the song in six styles: Indian, reggae, country, acid jazz, bossa nova, and "berbere." I had it in my head most of the day.

The papal palace felt more like an impressive medieval fortification than a religious building. It's huge, and older than most of the buildings in the Vatican. It sits in an old plaza with surrounding restaurants and small shops. I stopped for lunch and ordered the plate of the day. My waiter didn't know how to translate it: "It's like pork. No, not pork. It's like veal, but younger." 

Pictured: View of the Pont St-Benezet bridge in Avignon, with the papal palace behind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment