Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Plus ça Change


11/10/2013 - Paris

I'm writing most of these less than a month later, after getting back and having a phone / computer again. Better late than never!

Today, everything was about how Paris has changed and how it's changing. In the morning, I sat in the Jardin du Luxembourg and read in Paris, Paris that critics of Pompidou's changes in the 1970s pronounced Paris dead. An article in today's New York Times declared that hipsters ruined Paris. And one of the last sights of the day was the historic La Samaritaine building, an Art Deco / Art Nouveau department store that is now closed. La Samaritaine was shown empty in a sad scene of the 2012 film Holy Motors. I expect I'll return to Paris someday, and I wonder what will be gone when I come back.

Pictured: La Samaritaine, viewed from the oldest bridge in Paris, Pont Neuf (translated: New Bridge)

No comments:

Post a Comment