Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Each Brick Historic



11/13/2013 - Paris

Today I went to the historic Montmartre neighborhood, and into the Louvre in the evening. Either one is reason enough to visit Paris by itself.

Just past the Moulin Rouge in Montmartre, I stopped at the Cafe des Deux Moulins, where the titular character worked in the film Amelie. Another couple hours strolling through Montmartre, I saw Montmartre's great cemetery, then artists at work in the touristy Place du Tertre, and finally great views of the city.

I had been looking forward to the Louvre since arriving in Paris. I had a couple quick disappointments: both Winged Victory and Liberty Leading the People were out of view, under restoration. But I wasn't disappointed long. The other famous works are as great as their reputations, and I met treasures I'd never heard of around every corner. I even ran into a friend from Chicago after my second hour in the Louvre, and we walked to the apartments of Napoleon III and the dungeon. Every step through Paris takes you through somewhere historic: I hadn't realized the Louvre was an extremely important historic building, not just a museum.

Pictured: Cobblestone road in Montmartre Cemetery

No comments:

Post a Comment